Sunday 6 November 2011

So Far...

I have enjoyed reading the book Wicked. In the beginning, I was having trouble understanding some key points due to the fragmented style of writing but the novel became clearer as it further advanced. Elphaba’s character is one of the main reasons why I love reading this novel. Her independence, need for justice and sympathy towards the inferior creatures of Oz has inspired me. I do not like to think about her impending doom in the novel because I have started to sympathize with her character. I think this novel is extremely reflecting on society. After reading the back story of The Wicked Witch of the West, it makes the reader want to know the reasoning behind the actions of other individuals in history who were deemed evil. Was Hitler evil? What was his reasoning? Did the events in his life shape his actions? This novel makes the reader become more understanding and sceptical of other individuals. Also, I enjoy making small comparisons between our world and Oz. I have been unconsciously comparing different attributes of locations in Wicked. The Wizard of Oz has always been my favourite movie but this novel explores complex themes in which the original story never encountered. It seems as if the original story was the child perspective and Wicked by Gregory Maguire is the grown up version. While I was growing up, so did the story of Oz.

No comments:

Post a Comment